Friday, September 23, 2011

First Sail


The big moment - went for my first real sail on the Tiki yesterday, although the wind was still only a very gentle 8 knots or so. I have never sailed a Wharram before but have sailed many other boats. I found that it points very well once in the groove - much better than I expected. She gybes very well with no drama at all. But tacking - oh my - very slow. Its OK, just takes a bit of getting used to tacking in slow motion. I finally figured out how to do it with out doing a back up - the use of the jib to bring the bows around is crucial. Otherwise a very pleasant sail on a sunny day - saw a sea lion and a seal and hit a max speed of 5.5 knots on the GPS, which is not bad for such a light breeze. See the accompanying movie clip (when I get it uploaded).

No comments:

Post a Comment