Tuesday, April 24, 2012

New Boots

Oh my - my new sails arrived! I blew out the old mainsail a couple of months ago in a 25 knot breeze at Angel Island. The builder of my boat made the original mainsail from an old cut down jib in true Wharram fashion - and it worked well.


 After a great deal of shopping around, I bought the new sails from Rolly Tasker in Thailand. They were a good price, are very well made, and arrived promptly.




Nice and flat. One reef on the jib and two on the main. Nice needlework work all around. Leathered clew and tack.



Test sail: lovely weather with flat water and around 10 knots of breeze on the nose and heading into the incoming tide. The sails are not fully sorted yet - I had the straps on the mainsail pocket too tight, and not enough tension on the jib downhaul, but still managed 5.5 knots tacking into the wind and tide. When the tide turned we managed 7 knots to windward (see short video below). Love my new boots.






Running home.

3 comments:

  1. In case of, thanks to your experience, do you have heard of any performance or stability problems using a 130sq Hobie16 or Dart18 mainsail & mast (but with 80 sq jib) instead of a WingSail (apart from the wharram style and look)?

    Your little cat & blog is a great inspiration for me to move to wharram''s style ;)
    BR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SR,
    Yes I do think about it, and if a I had a H16 or H18 rig available would like to experiment. My guess is that it would work well. You could try contacting BoatSmith in Florida who uses a regular sloop rig on his Tiki 26s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thank you for your reactivity and link to BS.

    => there's a T21 in EU with H16 rig/main, unsure it's a good idea, perhaps a problem of flatness of the main with a platform of around 400 Kg rtather than 150.

    At BS, the main looks like a H21, for a T of 8m, 300 sq feet of surface.
    Perhaps a H18 or N.5.8 main would be of interest for a T21, complemented with a larger jib than racing beach cats, but with reinforced cadenes, but moving away from the wharram spirit/style

    BR, hoipe to come back to SF in the future and get on board ;)

    ReplyDelete