Sunday, December 2, 2012

Kirby Cove with new Genoa

Over the Thanksgiving weekend I also took a run out to Point Diablo to try out the new light-air Genoa. This sail is for those days when the wind is too light to fill the working sails.

Running in 5 knots


It is the standard size Tiki 21 genoa at 100 sq foot - not much bigger than the working jib (78 square feet), but it is only 2oz fabric (instead of 5oz) so that it fills easily in light breezes.



This was just the right day with 2-5 knots of breeze (initially) and the sail filled easily and pulled well in these conditions - see short video above. Later on I tried sailing on the wind after it had piped up to 10-15 knots. It was quite hard to get the sail to hold its shape to windward over 10 knots, so the sail is limited to what it is designed for - light breezes. The standard genoa is 11' along the foot (compared to 8.5' for the standard jib) and worked well sheeted to the corner of the rear beam for going to windward (see below).




This trip was also to continue my exploration of the Golden Gate channel and we hugged the North coast under the bridge and out past Point Diablo. Here I got a good example of how the tide reverses direction along the shore lines. The tide was ebbing in the main channel but flooding in next to the shore line.

Point Diablo and Lighthouse


After taking a quick look in Bonita Cove, we turned around and cruised along the Marin Headlands and anchored at Kirby Cove, just west of the GG Bridge. What a great spot with several people fishing off the beach and families strolling along the water's edge and enjoying the beautiful day.

Approaching Kirby Cove




 

And then of course it is time to get the stove out for a coffee and kick back to take in the scenery.


8 comments:

  1. Hey - apologies if this is duped, looks like my last comment didn't stick

    I'm a fellow Tiki 21 owner in Seattle. I love your blog, especially all the data! After reading this I'd like a similar genoa, and I'm wondering if you can share where you got it? I just visited our local sail loft & they said a 2 oz genoa was unheard of. Can you share any details?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael, In hindsight I don't use the light genoa very much. I find that the standard jib is better for pointing, and that for reaching and running a spinnaker is much better. Either a triradial symmetric, or an asymmetric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool - thanks, that's very helpful. Out of curiosity, is it really 2 oz cloth? If so is it dacron or a ripstop nylon type fabric?

      BTW - you might be interested in the Race to Alaska this June. It's from Port Townsend, WA to Ketchikan, AK. No motors allowed. I've entered in our Tiki 21, as have some friends who have built a Hitia 17 for the race. It's not too late to enter...would be awesome to have another Wharram out there: www.r2ak.com. You interested in joining?

      Delete
  3. Hi Michael, It is 2.2oz polymax. This material is good for very light winds, but I find it to be too stretchy in the Bay conditions and would now prefer 3.8oz dacron for that sail. The sail was made by Rolly Tasker in Thailand. Given its narrow range of use I would invest in a cruising asymmetric instead.

    I can't do the R2A, but am excited to hear that you are entering in a Tiki 21 - I will follow your progress with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. Are you interested in renting or selling the sail to me? The conditions up here are so much milder, especially in summer, that I think it would be useful more of the time.

    I'd be interested in trying it &/or possibly buying it if you're game. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael,
      As I now have a symmetric and asymmetric spin, I don't use it very often and would sell it. It cost me $400 from Rolly Tasker. You can see it in a long video shot in my latest post. It has stretched a little along the foot, and you can see that it (the foot) flutters a little in the video.

      Delete
  5. Got it. I may be interested - I'm just fitting a much taller (33') mast and would like some sea trials with the larger sails (about 30% more sail area than stock rig) before deciding. Should know more in a few weeks.

    BTW looks like your boat's sailing very well! I've been looking at pictures of Rory's Cooking Fat, and he has fitted some keel stubs, presumably to improve upwind pointing. Have you considered/done this? I saw from one of your posts that you're tacking through 90 degrees, can you do this consistently / have you done better?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the big mast (that's really big for a Tiki!). E-mail me on the WB and F pages if you want to discuss the sail.

    ReplyDelete