Monday, July 14, 2014

Fitting Cleats

...through the deck has to be done so that the plywood core is protected. I had to fit some new Ronstan medium jam cleats for my spinnaker sheet set-up and did most of the work during a nice afternoon anchored just off the beach at Camp Reynolds (West Garrison), Angel Island.


The first thing is to mark and drill the holes, leaving plenty of clearance for the screw size, and also a generous countersink.


Then tape the underside of the holes with masking tape...


Wet out the holes with unthickened epoxy - in this case West 205. Masking tape saves a big clean up later...


Then fill with thickened epoxy until it is just proud of the countersunk hole.


Now, I just have to wait for it to harden and then re-drill the epoxy plug to the size of the screws. The ply deck inner core is now completely protected from water penetration.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Roger,

    This is a little off-topic from this post, but how is your Bottomkote paint holding up? I have a gallon of it now, but can't decide to use it or go with hard paint instead.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brad,
    The Bottomkote NT has been in the water for 7 months now and I am very pleased with it. It only takes a couple of days in the water to get soft growth here, but most of it washes off when you go for a sail. After a long fast sail it is pretty much clean again. I haven't had to get in the water to hand clean it yet. It seems very good value for what it costs. On the other hand, I've been wondering if I should have used the expensive 2-year stuff - it costs more, but (apparently) stays clean for 24 months or more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah hard paint has been recommended to me, but I don't know if Pettit Trinidad would stay effective with the boat out of the water for two months next summer. Do you know much about hard paints/how long you can drydock before having to recoat?

    Thanks,
    Brad

    ReplyDelete