Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Sewing to Sail

So many boat-fixing projects require a sewing machine. After my experience with the trampoline, I looked around for a cheap old sewing machine and found a 1961 Sears Kenmore.

1961 Kenmore $50

The old machines are good because they have a steel frame and are heavy. This is important for sailors because the machine can handle layers of sail cloth and sunbrella etc. without flexing. This one is great and can punch through 6 layers of sunbrella no problem.

There was a steep learning curve and some mechanical repairs; also lots of bits and pieces from Sailrite before it was all working. So far I've repaired a sail cover and sail bags, and made up some tie-down straps. But of course the main job for a sewing machine is fixing sails, and I managed to rip my spinnaker after a bad hoist.


Here it is, first piecing together the tear with ripstop sail repair tape. The rip was about 3 feet long and extended across the center seam, and all the way into the edge seam at the foot of the sail.


The tear was quite bad, so the repair tape went on both sides. This stuff is so good, that usually only one side is taped. Then a heavier tape was folded around the foot seam and was sewed up with a zig zag stitch.



Then I ran a zig zag stitch over the center seam and across the tape repair.


All done. Not exactly pretty, but very strong.



... and back in action. A professional repair would have cost a couple of hundred dollars, which is more than the sail cost me. I'm really pleased with the sewing machine because I know that I can fix most sail issues quickly and cheaply.

3 comments:

  1. Nice score on the old machine. I have been using a 1937 Singer for about 20years and have save literally thousands on boat related projects. I wish it had zig, but I just double stitch. Sharp/New needles are a key feature, then even my 78 year old machine can do 6 layers of sunbrella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Edward. Its been great for everything except "shelter rite" where the foot can't seem to grip the shiny PVC. In that case I just push it through and try and get it roughly right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The, older machines also have steel gears. Good for multiple layers. When told of what I intended to use the m/c for, my sewing m/c mechanic warned me off using thick needles as they're harder on the m/c.

    ReplyDelete