Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Gallinas Creek

After reading Maurice Griffith's "Magic of the "Swatchways", I came over all romantic about cruising the sloughs and creeks of SF Bay. First on my new list was Gallinas Creek in San Rafael, Marin, the entrance of which is beyond China Camp in San Pablo Bay.

Leaving from Corte Madera Creek in light winds, I popped the asymmetric spinnaker and had a great run all of the way past China Camp. The average outbound speed was over 5 knots, which is great given that the true wind never got above 10 knots, and reinforces my notion that a spinnaker is an essential sail on the short-rigged Wharrams.





I forgot my camera, and lost my phone, so couldn't take any pictures. The pictures here are from the web.
 
http://images.summitpost.org/original/870384.jpg
Rat Rock, China Camp (summitpost.org)

Once past China Camp, the marsh parkland opens up with views of the many creeks, marsh birds and landlocked islands.

Marsh coast with Jakes Island and duck blind (Cole's Trail Tales).

The entrance to Gallinas Creek is shallow and marked with stakes for about a mile. I imagine that not many monohulls with keels would venture in here, but for a cat or other multihull it is no problem. The entrance is broad and will be added to my list of great spots to overnight - it is sheltered from the West, South and North, and shelter could be sort up the creek in an Easterly.

The first mile of the Creek is very pretty and a relaxing place to hang out on the hook (CM Clow)

Unfortunately, I didn't have that much time to hang around and had to get back to my mooring spot before the tide was too low. Its further than it looks on the chart and was over 20 NM there and back. Loved the coast between China Camp and the creek, and will definitely be back.

South Fork, Gallinas Creek (County of Marin)

No comments:

Post a Comment