Tuesday, August 6, 2019

New Side Decks

One of the jobs that was just too big to complete during the Winter re-paint was the side decks - that is, the center side decks.

Red arrows show where the center side decks are

The side decks are a part of the boat that take a real beating. They are the most stood on part of the boat. When you get in or out of the cabins or move around the center deck area, you are mainly on the side decks. These side decks are 10 years old (as is the boat now), and were epoxied but unglassed 1/4" inch marine ply. The plans call for a second narrower strip of ply down the center of each side deck to reinforce them, but the original builder had built two stringers underneath instead of the extra layer on top, which I like because it leaves them flat and the same height as the rest of the center decks.

Nice new coat of 6oz fiberglass

Over 10 years of use the side decks were pretty well banged up and had some surface cracking and checking, and it was time to replace or renovate. Of course I chose renovate as I always seem to do; the decks were still basically sound and just needed a bit of extra help. I started by stripping all of the old paint off down to the original epoxy layer. The next step was a 6 oz layer of glass on BOTH sides, with two further epoxy fill coats.

Underside of topcoated deck

With glass on both sides the decks are now super stiff, and it makes me wonder why glass coating on both sides, effectively turning the plywood into a core material, is not used as  a construction method more often. They are heavier, although not unduly so.


Topside masking up for anti-skid

The paint was next, and what a grind it is to do it properly. Two undercoats with Interlux Primekote, and three top coats with Interlux Brightsides. The five coats were all sanded between layers - lots of time. But wait, there is still the anti-skid to do. I used two coats of Interlux Interdeck after careful masking, and found it really easy to roll on in one go compared to my old method of sprinkling sand onto wet paint.


I also made substantial mods to the decks to make them more usable for my purposes (see above pic). I put new dyneema loops in (see previous posts) through the stringers - I use these for close windward sheeting of the jib, and also as anchor points to clip in my harness when it is rough. I added mahogany foot braces screwed through into the stringers. I have found that when it is very rough, you need somewhere to brace your feet. I also added new raised cleats that I can reach handily while sitting in the cabin/cockpits. I added a line of holes (back filled with solid epoxy) along the center edges that I will screw to the deck center section. The center section is now bolted to the front and rear beams. This final mod will make the hole deck area relatively rigid.

OK, lots of work, but the center side decks are now pretty much indestructible and will not need work for a long time.

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed... However, here, weather is too cool to work. May be in summer, when it's hot and no wind around, I'll try to rework my decks, I recon that I didn't made a perfect job on them

    ReplyDelete