Friday, March 13, 2020

New Rig #2 Synthetic Chainplates

Wharrams don't have conventional chain plates of course, but you know what I mean. The chain plates on a regular sail boat anchor the shrouds to the hull. On Tiki Wharrams, the shrouds terminate in a heart eye, and are then lashed around an anchor pad glued and screwed to the hull. The lashings are also used to tension the rig, in conjunction with the forestay lashing (or bottle screw in the case of Little Cat). I found in practice that the lashings were difficult to tension and caused maintenance problems in that they were hard to keep clean, and were messy and unsightly.

Shroud base


My solution was to use a 3/16 synthetic dyneema loop with a large sailmaker's eye to take care of the anchor pad to shroud anchor, and then to have a simpler lashing between the two eyes (see picture below). This works really well, and is neater, and simpler to tension. I have put 500 nautical miles on these so far with no issues, and will update.

Shroud lashing

3 comments:

  1. Good day, I am just planning my asymetric spinaker rigging on my own Tiki 21. I follow our blog, an also Gratitude's. Lots of good info, and smart solutions.
    If i understand properly, you attach your spinnaker rear blocks to your shrouds? And you do not have any problem with this?
    On my own boat, the shrouds lashing is very similar to yours. Also Dyneema.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eric,
    The spinnaker sheets go first to a block on the rear beam and then back to the autoratchet block on the shrouds that you see in the picture. I don't think the loads are big enough to stress the shrouds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe you could do away with the lashing if using this low friction aluminum rings

    ReplyDelete