Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Petaluma River II

 I am way behind with my posts. This one is from Spring 2020 on my second overnight up the Petaluma river. On this trip I wanted to visit the old house ruins on Mud Slough by way of San Antonio Creek.

I didn't get to the Petaluma River until late in the day. Here heading up San Antonio Creek after turning off the Petaluma.


The sun was setting as I made progress up San Antonio Creek.



I kept going past the Land Fill which backs onto the creek, until reaching the turn off to Mud Slough. At 12 feet of beam, it turns out the Little Cat was too wide to make it far into Mud Slough. So I settled for anchoring as far up San Antonio Creek as I could go as evening arrived.



At dusk, I was treated to a spectacular light show.



I put up the boat tent, made scrambled eggs and tomatoes for dinner and settled in for the night.



I was up early next morning to enjoy the dawn.



There was a heavy dew all over the boat and tent, and a light fog on the river.






It wasn't long before the fog burnt off, and I had oatmeal for breakfast taking in the view.



I took my time getting ready and made the most of the beautiful morning light and surroundings.



I finally got organized, pulled up the anchor and started to make my way back down the creek towards the Petaluma River.





I decided to leave the boat tent up as it was so still and calm. All the way down San Antonio Creek there were ruins from the past - old building foundations, jetty's and pilings.



Back on the main Petaluma River, Little Cat left delicate tracks on the mirror smooth river.




It was still early in the morning when I exited under the Highway 37 bridge, riding out the last of the outgoing tide. There was still several hours of motoring in the calm conditions to make it back into The Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment