Thursday, August 21, 2014

Hank

To furl or not to furl, that is the question? Actually, with good quality furlers costing more than $1,000 for the hardware alone, its not really a question at all (until I get a big pay rise).

Wichard snap hanks


The reason why jib furlers are so popular is that it is not much fun going forward to remove or reef the jib when the weather is bad. What else can be done to shorten that amount of time getting dunked at the front of the boat in bad weather?

Old and new


My Rolly Tasker jib came with the conventional piston hanks. They work well but are a two-handed operation. I coughed-up for some Wichard snap hanks that can be operated with one hand. Being able to use one hand to bend-on or take off the sail has dramatically sped the process up and I am done at the front much quicker than with the piston hanks.

All done


Replacing the hanks was relatively easy, but the old brass hanks were work hardened and had to be broken off using the big pliers. Just need to be careful not to damage the sail fabric. The new Wichards are knocked on using a hammer and a block. Back sailing in no time!


All done in the sun in this idyllic corner on the East side of Angel Island. That big flat platform is the ideal mobile workshop!

1 comment:

  1. I've lost my attachment/love of furling. All it takes is for the drum to seize up in a blow. Oh and your suppose to head up into the wind to roll the thing up. IMO all a furler does is make a sailboat a motorsailer.
    That said I do have a small furler on my Siren 17, but it's a wire not solid and the jib can still be dropped by releasing the halyard.
    I think you made a wise choice!

    ReplyDelete